Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Ode to St. Joe

Today is the Solemnity of St. Joseph, which is my favorite feast day in the Church.

Jesus says, "I like your beard."
And no, it’s not just because his feast day always falls during the Lenten season and I get to go all...


Alright, maybe just a wee bit.

But really...
It's because St. Joe,
As you may well know,
Is my very favorite beau.
(I call that little ditty “Ode to St. Joe” and yes, I know it’s a masterpiece. Copyright, TM, patent pending, etc. No stealing, I spent a lot of time writing that rhyme.)

Why is he my favorite beau?

Well, he's helped me get a job - twice! - including the one where I just celebrated my one year anniversary.

He helps me out with vocational and relationship advice. It's like girl talk, but I'm on earth, and he's in Heaven. So we don't get to paint each other's nails, but whatevs. Maybe in Heaven someday?

He's pretty much the most powerful intercessor ever, because he's Jesus' foster daddy. I mean, you never say no to your foster daddy, right?

And he is just otherwise pretty much the best saint ever. The bomb dot com. Awesome sauce. Cooler than the flip side of my pillow. A bada** saint.

St. Joe spent his daily life living with Jesus and Mary. Jesus. and Mary. Can you just stop for a minute and think about how EPIC that would be? He got to live with GOD and the Mother of God.

That just blows my mind.


And also, can you imagine how difficult that would be? I mean, you're living with two perfect people. I think I would feel so completely unworthy and imperfect and just... dumb. All the time! But then again, I don't have the humility and patience that St. Joe had.

St. Joe also is known for the most epic line ever in Scripture:

" "

With this beautiful line, he shows us the importance of shutting up and just listening to God. I mean, he completely trusted God, 100%. Even when trusting God was difficult, when it led him to being ridiculed and shunned by society, when he was forced to flee to Egypt and all over the place... St. Joe risked his life over and over again to do what God was calling him to do. If only we all had the trust and resolve to just let go and follow God's call like St. Joe did.

I could go on and on and on about St. Joe, and how he is such a great example to all of us - to me - but instead I will leave you with another one of my epic poems. I know that's why y'all are really here.

(Yep, stiiiiiiiiiill working on that humility thing. Can you help me out, St. Joe?)
St. Joe, St. Joe,
He doesn't want to be your foe.
He wants you to love God mo' and mo',
And to His call never say "No!"
Even if it means you'll be po'.
So hop in the boat and row,
Pick up your plow and sow,
Get in your truck and tow,
Jump on your horse and... "Whoa!"
Whatever it is, just go,
Giving glory to God high and low,
And trust God just like St. Joe!
St. Joe, St. Joe,
All he wants is to be your beau!
Who is your favorite saint? What do you love about him or her? Please write me an epic poem, in iambic pentameter, about your favorite saint. 

(I would appreciate a Shakespearean or Petrarchan sonnet format, but I will let you have creative license.) 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I l.o.v.e. reading your comments!

I would love even more to be able to respond to them, so pretty please link your e-mail address to your name!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...